Sunday, October 7, 2012

The One And Only Ivan



There has been so much talk of this book. Every blog I read has gad a post about it, it seems. I actually had it out of the library a couple of times this summer but never could get into it. I decided to put it on hold one more time since so many people on the planet are doing it for the Global Read Aloud.

Friday I stopped by the library on my walk home from school. I had an amazing pile of holds that had shown up. The One and Only Ivan was one of them. I decided to go over to the pool and read while my kid's had swim practice. This time I got it. It is a great book! I sat and read for just over an hour. It was one of those books that I got so absorbed in that I wasn't distracted by the conversations of other parents that all too often drag me away from my book, nor was I distracted by noisy kids that hang around the pool. It was just me and the book, and it was wonderful.

The One and Only Ivan is a quick read. The story is about a gorilla who was taken from his family to be on display in a mall. He has no other gorillas to associate with and misses them terribly. He does have a stray dog named Bob, an old elephant named Stella, and in time, a baby elephant named Ruby. The story is so touching and really makes you think about the love animals need, just like humans do. I would definitely recommend this book! It is based on the life of a real gorilla that actually passed away this past summer in the Atlanta Zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment