Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hattie Big Sky (Kirby Larson)

Not that I am always persuaded by awards, but this book is a Newberry Honor book. That did intrigue me. More than that though, this book was talked about on a number of blogs I read. I have had it on my list for a while so I am happy to say I have finally read it.
I get why so many people rave about this book. It's very inspiring!
It is historical fiction, about a girl who is an orphan, and who attempts to earn a land claim in Montana in the early 1900's. She is only 16, but certain mature beyond her years, and has more of a work ethic than ANY 16 year old I know - well, anyone I know, really.
I was mesmerized by the stories of struggle, by the strength of friendship, and by the sadness of war. It was especially compelling to me today while reading the last hundred pages. Yesterday was the American election. Obama has won a second term, beating Mitt Romney. My Facebook page has been full of contention and political posts. I'm so ready for people to move on and quit fighting about politics!
I loved the character, Hattie. She is a hard working, never say quit, tough woman. A great role model! Sometimes fate works in her favor, and sometimes it doesn't. Whatever happens though, it is a beautiful read. I definitely recommend this book!
Some of my favorite memories from this book:
(page 121) When Hattie gets to Montana she realizes she is going to need to d osomething to earn some cash while she is working her claim, only she has no idea what she can do. She gets a letter from her uncle with a miracle, of sorts, for her:
Dear Hattie,
Your letters have provided me such entertainment and enlightenment that I have shraed them with Mr. George Miltenberger, editor of the Arlington News. He concurred that such lively observations about homestead life would be of general interest to his readership. As you will see from his letter (enclosed), he hopes to publish more of your stories. I hope you can accommodate him.
With affection,
Uncle Holt
So she ends up writing monthly articles in a paper, and get spaid $15 a month!

P. 216
One of the things that surprised me was the stories of people being downright mean and unkind to people who were German, or people who they didn't feel were being supportive enough of the war. At one point Hattie comes across a group of men bullying another man because they think he isn't being patriotic enough. She is horrified at what she sees, and more horrified that no one does something to stop the abuse.
"He lifted his glass to his lips, started to slip, then put the glass down. "It's the War."
I placed my palms on the desk, breathinging deeply. "Did the war burn Karl's barn?" I said slowly. "Break little Elmer's arm? Change you into a criminal"
"No." He sat heavily in a chair. "No. But this evil is so big. The fight has spread far beyond the battlefield. It's to the point that anything - even writing a letter on behalf of a pastor and his flock - can be seen as treason." (He had written a letter asking the pastor if some of the sermon could be given in the language of the congregation - and it wasn't English.
But somehow through all the challenges, Hattie's heart remains tender and kind.
P. 231
My uncle's hero is Abraham Lincoln, surely the ultimate symbol of independence. One of the stoires I love best about Lincoln is that after his election to office, he appointed some of his bitterest enemies to his cabinet. It seems then, as now, the greatest freedom is found in forgiveness. Let us embrace that element of liberty as we forgive our enemies as we forgive ourselves.

That message seems especially poignant as the bitterness of the American election settles.

No comments:

Post a Comment