Saturday, November 24, 2012

Winds of L'Acadie (Lois Donovan)


I heard about this book at the Kaleidoscope Conference I went to last month.  I felt like it started kind of slow, but the more I read, the more I enjoyed it. It just got better and better as I read. It is a story of a girl who is fom Toronto. She spends the summer with her grandparents in Nova Scotia. She learns about her heritage and becomes really interested in the story of the Acadians. I didn't even know this story at all. Apparently in the 1700's the Acadians were deported from Canada. The author did an amazing job of portraying how horrifying the scene was, and how tramatized the people were. And the ending was terrific!

I don't always like it when books are made into movies, but this book would be great makings of a movie.

I also especially loved that the author of this book is from Calgary and is a teacher. Her workshop really helped me see how great historical fiction can be for teaching. This is a great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment