Monday, December 17, 2012

Each Kindness (Jacqueline Woodson)


I read this book to my class today. The story is about showing kindness to others. When I picked it up at the library the librarian said to me, "That's an interesting book. When I read it I thought 'who is going to appreciate the beautiful artwork and amazing story in this book?"

She doesn't know my class! They sure did.

The example is given of a new girl in a class. No one wants to play with her, even when she asks. She seems to be poor, wears hand me down clothes, and doesn't have flashy toys.

Then, suddenly one day, she's gone.

One girl in the class realizes that she hasn't been kind and hopes for another chance.

The book ends with the problem totally unresolved. They don't get another chance to be kind to the new girl.

When I read it to my class they were totally quiet. And then when it was over they sat and looked at me. I didn't say anything. I just let them sit in their quiet for a moment. One girl finally said, "That's so sad!" We talked about why it's sad and how important it is to be kind to people around us. I commented that we are really lucky in our school because kids usually are kind to each other. But what about in our families? Are we kind to our siblings? That's where it's hardest...and perhaps where it is most important.

It's a beautiful book, with great potential for discussion.

This book would go great with The Hundred Dresses 


Goodreads says:

Chloe doesn't really know why she turns away from the new girl, Maya, when Maya tries to befriend her. And every time Maya asks if she can play with Chloe and the other girls, the answer is always no. So Maya ends up playing alone. And then one day she's gone.

When Chloe's teacher gives a lesson about how even small acts of kindness can change the world, Chloe is stung by the opportunity that's been lost. How much better could it have been if she'd just shown Maya a little kindness and opened her heart to friendship?

Newbery Honor-winning author Jacqueline Woodson and Caldecott Honor-winning illustrator E. B. Lewis have created a beautiful, poignant picture book with a powerful message that will stay with readers long after they've put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment