Monday, February 11, 2013

Forgive Me, I Meant To Do It: False Apology Poems (Gail Carson Levine)

If you need a laugh, this is a great one! We are doing a poetry unit in our class. We have covered limericks and next is cinquains. I can't say that I love cinquains. I've wondered why we teach them. I think it's because they have a nice pattern to follow. Let's just say I'm glad it's a short unit. Voila! These poems have a nice pattern to follow too! Well, maybe nice isn't the word - but there is a pattern. They're all false apologies.....meaning, apologies are said, but we know it's not really meant. Great experiences with sarcasm! I read a swack of them to my class today. They loved them! They are mostly poems written by fairy tale characters - like the cow who cuts down the beanstalk because she figures she certainly is worth more than 5 beans. Or, Cinderella who is tired of stinky short men, or the ape that puts a banana peel on the hill so Jack slips, and the ape runs off with Jill. Fun! Now I have to figure out how we can fit in writing some of these crazy poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment