Sunday, March 17, 2013

Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel








I broke one of my rules with this book. I never recommend a book to my Gr. 3 Book Club if I haven't read it. Silverwing has so many accolades I took a chance. The gamble paid off! This book really surprised me. It is about a bat. Who likes bats? They're not exactly fodder for a warm fuzzy story! Give me a dog, a pig, or a horse. A bat really seems odd. This story works though. It is great! The story is of a little bat named Shade. He is a bit of an underdog: runt of the litter and all. Not only that, he isn't like all the other bats. He questions and he wants to do things that everyone just accepts as not do-able. Most of all he wants to see the sun. Only there is a law that bats must be inside once dusk hits. He breaks the law and the owls seek revenge. They are intent on justice being served and they burn down the habitat all his colony lives in. The bats all end up having to migrate to a new habitat and along the way Shade gets lost and becomes separated from the colony. The book is his adventures returning to them. I was surprised at what a page turner it was. Every chapter was a good cliff hanger. I think I'm going to have to read the other books in the series over Spring Break!

No comments:

Post a Comment