Monday, April 29, 2013

The Book Whisperer ( Donalyn Miller)

I have found a kindred spirit in Donalyn Miller!



“I am a reader, a flashlight-under-the-covers, carries-a-book-everywhere-I-go, don't-look-at-my-Amazon-bill reader. I choose purswes based on whether I can cram a paperback into them, and my books are the first items I pack into a suitcase.” 




I read this book while on a day trip to southern Alberta. My poor husband. All along the way I kept having to read portions to him and would chatter on about how I agreed with what she was saying, and muse about what I'd like to do in my classroom.

Donalyn Miller is really into just getting kids to simply read. She expects her class to read 40 books a year and has them start a Reading Notebook. They record books they have read, books they want to read, and notes from books. I decided I'm going to do that. There are about 13 weeks of school left and my kids could read 10 books, for sure!

I gave them all a notebook and we made covers and labelled the different sections of the book. I showed them my Reading Notebook that I've kept since 1998. They were amazed and it got them very excited about the idea of having their own notebook.

This is definitely a book to read and to re-read. I told my vice-principal about it and she ordered me a copy from Amazon (and I think one for herself). This one is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment