Thursday, June 27, 2013

The BFG (Roald Dahl)


We read this book in my Grade 3 class this past month. One of the worst things about school being cancelled this past week was I worrying about how were we going to finish our novel study! We had to scrap painting the huge giants on looooooong paper - but we did finally get to finish reading it today. We started our half day of school today with finishing this book.

I had never read The BFG, but my colleagues love the it and so I was looking forward to reading. My own children, who have each gone through Roald Dahl phases, were not fans of this book. The BFG talks strangely and makes up words and I wonder if those long and tricky words were what turned them off. I think it is a terrific read aloud. I will have to try to get them to read it aloud with me this summer!

This story is about a girl who is stolen by a giant. He is a friendly giant though. He spends his time bottling dreams, and blowing good dreams into sleeping children's minds. However, there are other giants who aren't quite as kind and they eat children! Sophie, an orphan, realizes something must be done and she and The BFG work together to come up with a plan. My class had a lot of good laughs over things in this story. It was a delight to read together!

No comments:

Post a Comment