Saturday, October 4, 2014

Son (Lois Lowry)



I loved this book. Although it does stand alone just fine, it made me want to go back and read The Giver again as well as the other books in this series.

In Son, there is an interesting idea that all choices must be for the good of the community. Even when Claire is escaping so she can see her son, she needs to kill a nest full of baby chicks, despite the mother bird's desperate attempts to drive Clare away this theme persists. She has to destroy their home for the good of what she wants to accomplish. However, some people just aren't made to not have feelings. They feel love for their children. And in the end, you can overcome evil if you don't let it overcome you. I also thought the theme of water leading to freedom was interesting. Even Gabe's toy, a hippo, is a strong water animal. Water is a part of all the big events in this story. It is interesting too that Gabe's gift is 'veering' or seeing things from another person's perspective. It changes him. I loved it when he veered into his Mentor's mind to try to get some answers on a test. Instead what he felt was the great love his teacher has for all his students.

Quotes:

p. 107
She turned away, feeling tears well in her eyes. What on earth was the matter with her? No one else seemed to feel this kind of passionate attachment to other humans. Not to a new child, not to a spouse, or coworker, or friend. She had not felt it toward her own parents or brother. But now, toward this wobbly, drooling toddler--


p. 181

"On that day, the day I tended you," Alys said to Clarei, "I saw your wound."
 "Wound?"
"Your belly."
Claire placed her hand there protectively. She looked at the ground. "I don't --"she began, then flatered.
"It's a grievous wound. Someone tended it, stitched it up. There are the marks."
"I know," Claire whispered.
"One day it will come back to your mind, like everything else."
"Perhaps."
"But I fear this: that you will not be able to give birth. I think it has been taken from you."
Claire was silent.
 Alys leaned forward and turned the flame higher in the oil lamp. It was darkening outside. "There are other ways a woman finds worth," she said in a firm, knowing voice.

P. 367 He was right to refuse. It was my journey and I had to do it without help. I had to find my own strengths, face my own fears. And now you must.

No comments:

Post a Comment