Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Sisters (Raina Telgemeier)

I've seen books by this author in a lot of places. They're blogged about a lot. They are in all the bookstores. They have been begging me to read them. I finally got to it!

This one is a graphic novel (I get the feeling most of Raina Telgemeier's books are graphic novels). They're a quick read. I have to force myself to slow down and look at the pictures as well as read the words.

This book is easy to follow. The main character has flash backs to when she wishes she had a sister, to when her sister was born, etc. The flashback pages are yellow. In my dimly lit bedroom it took me a little bit of time to clue into that! It makes it easy though.

I had to really chuckle at the snake issues in the book. The younger sister wants a snake - but the older sister is afraid of snakes. The younger sister gets one anyway. (I hate snakes....I couldn't live in a house with a snake or travel in a van with a snake....she totally won my respect there. I wouldn't have done it!) They call it "the incident".

The vignettes are real and relatable. I had to laugh at the section where they want a pet. They try fish. Fish die. They get another one. Finally, after a few tries at keeping fish, they decide to try something else. This is juxtaposed by the announcement that they're going to have a little brother. I thought that was pretty funny next to the pet conversations.

All in all, it's a fun book. It is a great read for girls who have a sister, or wish they had a sister, or wish they didn't have a sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment