Saturday, December 26, 2015

Spark (John J. Ratey, MD)

On p. 245, the author says: personally, researching this book has we doubled my enthusiasm for the benefits of exercise and replaced intuition with hard, scientific fact.

Me too!

Research consistently  shows the more fit you are, the more I resilient your brain becomes and the better it functions both cognitively and psychologically. If you get your body in shape, your mind will follow.

He advises readers to do a varied incident intensity of walking, jogging, running, and sprinting. In broad strokes, then, I think the best advice is to follow our ancestors routine; walk or jog every day, run a couple times a week, and then go for the kill every now and then by sprinting.

He suggests doing aerobic exercise 6 days of the week for 45 minutes to an hour. Four of those days should be on the longer side, I'm at moderate intensity, and two on the shorter side, and high-intensity. On the shorter high-intensity days, include some form of strength and resistance training. These day should not be back to back.

He opens up the book by talking about these concepts in schools. I really want to investigate this further and figure out how I can implement it in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment