Friday, March 4, 2016

Madeline (Ludwig Bemelmens)


I got Madeline from the library. Many of the kids said, "I know that movie!" when they saw it. I had one student who had read both of these books before.  He read the Frankenstein one a I read Madeline. We had a good chuckle. Some commented that the Frankenstein boom is more for boys and the Madeline book is more for girls.  I guess I still have some work to do with the idea that anyone can read anything - there are no BOYS books and GIRLS books :)


Madeline is a classic. Everyone should read it! However, I have to say, it is even better next to Frankenstein.

Goodreads summary: 

Madeline is one of the best-loved characters in children's literature. Set in picturesque Paris, this tale of a brave little girl's trip to the hospital was a Caldecott Honor Book in 1940 and has as much appeal today as it did then. The combination of a spirited heroine, timelessly appealing art, cheerful humor, and rhythmic text makes Madeline a perennial favorite with children of all ages. 


No comments:

Post a Comment