Thursday, September 7, 2017

The Straight Line Wonder (Mem Fox)

1126632


I love this story. The play on words are hilarious. It is a simple story that beautifully expresses how important it is to just be you. I love the repeated responses from his friends who are aghast that he dare step out and not be a straight line. I also love stories like this that get my kids talking about big topics.

I wondered if Marc Rosenthal is related to Amy Rosenthal. What a story. Amy Rosenthal is the author of great books like Exclamation Mark and Little Pea. She died just this year and wrote an amazing essay called, You Might Want to Marry My Husband. It appears Marc isn't her husband though.

Goodreads says:

Stay straight, silly! People will stare!Three straight lines are the best of friends. But when one of them gets tired of being straight all of the time, his friends are embarrassed and run off, leaving him alone. What happens next will enchant and delight all who read this tale about the value of being true to yourself.

Working with bold exuberance, artist Marc Rosenthal captures perfectly the quirkiness of Mem Fox's joyful story.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment