Monday, November 27, 2017

Esio Trot (Roald Dahl)

194755

I've read this book before, but I have a student who is going through a Roald Dahl phase, reading all of his books, so I became compelled to read it again after our discussion about it.

It's a strange book...a man tricks a woman into marrying him. Given Roald Dahl's themes on children who are smarter than adults, this one is a little off. I wonder why he wrote it. It makes me think he didn't have a lot of respect for women, assuming they're focused on silly things and pretty easy to trick into doing what you want them to do.

Here's a quote:

"I beg you to tell me, Mr. Hoppy. I'll be your slave for life!"

When he heard the words your slave for life a shiver of excitement swept through Mr Hoppy.



Oh dear. When I read it I had to go back. "Wait?? Did I really read that??"

It makes me wonder if I should be encouraging kids to reads Roald Dahl books. It's kinda messed up. Good relationships are not built on deceit and trickery.

Goodreads says:

Mr. Hoppy is in love with Mrs. Silver, but her heart belongs to Alfie, her pet tortoise. Mr. Hoppy is too shy to approach Mrs. Silver, until one day he comes up with a brilliant idea to win her heart. If Mr. Hoppy's plan works, Mrs. Silver will certainly fall in love with him. But it's going to take one hundred and forty tortoises, an ancient spell, and a little bit of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment